Re: Disabling atime

Benjamin Lewis wrote:

Les Mikesell wrote:
I'd expect the RedHat-style approach to this to be: add some file
under /etc/sysconfig like mount-options that contains options that can
be merged with the ones in /etc/fstab and all of the magic
automounting bits (this is probably as important on usb flash drives
as anywhere).

[snip]

There is something which leap out at me as soon a I saw this: the kind
of person who _needs_ atime, knows how to set it. The majority of people
- especially the home use - has little or no use for it whatsoever.

The majority of people will see a performance boost they will appreciate regardless of whether they know about atime or not.

Rahul