Development SIG -- http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SIGs/Development

Andrew Overholt overholt at redhat.com
Mon Aug 20 14:04:19 UTC 2007

Hi,

We'd like to start a Development SIG with an eye towards making a
"Fedora for Developers" spin.  The goals for the moment boil down to:

* Make Fedora a great development distribution "out of the box" by
providing needed tools
* Make it easy for developers to target Fedora
* Make things easier for Fedora developers themselves

We realize these are sort of open ended goals, but we hope to focus on
showcasing some of the great tools we have in the distro by making them
available and configured, etc. out of the box.  There will of course be
some editorial control in the cases of multiple tools and avoiding
"everything and the kitchen sink" to differentiate from Fedora
Everything.  Since Eclipse is near and dear to some of our hearts, some
lists of Eclipse-specific things we'd like to see done can be found at
[1] and [2].  We are especially interested in bringing new developers
into the Fedora family.

We'd like to have regular IRC meetings on #fedora-meeting on Tuesdays at
18:00-19:00 UTC (2pm-3pm EDT)
(see http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Communicate#IRC) .  If the time
really sucks for lots of people, we can easily change it.  The first
meeting will be tomorrow, Tuesday 21 August 2007.

The plan is to make the spin inherit from the Desktop spin and add the
following (not an exhaustive list):

. Eclipse stuff (most likely all of it)
. koji
. *-devel
. systemtap
. frysk
. toolchain (gcc et al)
. emacs
. enable debuginfo repository

We realize this will put us up to a DVD-sized image but we're cool with
that.

There is obviously a tonne to work out, but we're looking forward to
working with lots of you on this.

Andrew

[1] http://live.gnome.org/EclipseIdeas
[2] http://homepages.peakpeak.com/~tromey/eclipse-linux.html