Services automaticly change firewall rules to open access to themselfs.

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:50:31 UTC 2007

On 8/20/07, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 16:20 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> > Any thoughts on implementing  automatically port opening for service
> > that need to open port access in the firewall
> > as in when service is started that needs port opening it would
> > automatically read some firewall.conf
> > file for that and open the port automatically according to those
> > settings in the firewall.conf file
> > ( add the iptables rules automatically when the service is started and
> > remove those rules when the service is stopped )
> >
> > Doing chkconfig service or service service start/stop and it would also
> > open the port for that service in the firewall
>
> I think it's a great idea and would go a long way towards making things
> more usable.  One of the questions is do you do the firewall change on
> service start/stop or at chkconfig time.  And I'm a little bit torn on
> that one.  chkconfig time makes it "simpler" as far as not requiring
> initscript changes.  start/stop seems like it's probably more "correct",
> but would then require initscripts to call a new function on start/stop
>
> Jeremy

I was actually thinking about this last night. My idea was to have it
_possible_ for services to open a few ports on start, and close them
on stop. But they wouldn't do so directly, they would ask
system-config-securitylevel. This would allow admins to disable this
functionality easily.

( www.pembo13.com )