Fedora Crypto Consolidation Project

Richard Megginson rmeggins at redhat.com
Thu Aug 23 20:07:08 UTC 2007

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 at 12:23:36 +0100, Joe Orton wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2007 at 05:51:20PM -0700, Robert Relyea wrote:
> > Steve Grubb wrote:
> > >I wanted to announce a new Fedora Project that will span several distro
> > >releases and outline the reasons why we are starting this project. I
> > >believe this issue affects the whole Open Source Community. But don't
> > >think anyone has explained all the issues.
> >
> > >We're looking for people interested in enabling NSS in their packages and
> > >feeding the changes upstream.
> > >
> > A list of packages that need to be looked at can now be found at:
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CryptoConsolidationScorecard
>
> Switching OpenLDAP to use NSS may be painful because of the exposure of
> the SSL_CTX * in the API via LDAP_OPT_X_TLS_CTX, though I don't know how
> widely that is used.  Would it be less painful to switch from OpenLDAP
> to the Mozilla LDAP toolkit (now part of the FDS?) at the same time?

I'm the current maintainer of the Mozilla LDAP SDK in Fedora as well as
being one of a very small number of upstream maintainers.  We (the
upstream maintainers and I) will be in the near future investigating NSS
support in OpenLDAP.  I encourage people to send me comments, questions,
and suggestions about how to approach this.  If there is enough interest
I will create a page at wiki.mozilla.org to track this issue.