Python 3.0

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Fri Aug 31 19:53:05 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 15:51 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-31 at 14:35 -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 15:02:37 -0400
> > Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone working on a package for this yet?
> > >
> > > http://www.python.org/download/releases/3.0/
> >
> > You really want to have a parallel installable alpha package of
> > python?  I think that would be a no-no.  If we allowed that, the we
> > should allow a parallel installable compat-python package.
>
> No, I want a parallel-installable package of Python 3000.

... which is an alpha of a framework which requires a lot of stuff to
actually be _useful_.  For one thing, we generally discourage
pre-releases.  For another, we discourage multiple versions of
frameworks (ie, no compat-python).

> Eventually it
> will go from alpha to beta, then on to stable, and the plan is to do so
> in about a year or so. The difference between Python 3000 and Python 2.5
> is almost as large as the difference between Python 2.2 and 1.5. Let's
> be ready, shall we?

Yes, but the difference can be mitigated by making your code run cleanly
with python 2.6 (... when it's released) and then running a converter.
We'll end up getting python 2.6 in when it comes out, so that'll help
with the first part.  The second part will have to largely be a flag-day
type of event due to the high number of python modules we ship and use
actively.

Jeremy