Re: Extreme memory usage for gnome-panel related apps

On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 22:11 +0000, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> I agree with you completely about the memory usage of Fedora 8, it has
> got VERY bloated recently.

I remember when I popped 512mb into my system back around 2002. Was
running Red Hat 8 as I recall. I never, ever got the thing to use more
than half of it. No matter how many tabs I opened in Mozilla, no matter
how many kernels I compiled, I had a good 256mb worth of disk cache at
all times, and it never hit swap. I remember losing entire 100mb files
because that machine was a bit flaky and would hang sometimes, with the
file never being written to disk. I got into a habit of typing 'sync' a
few times after doing anything important, a habit I still have to this
day.

So now I'm sitting on a laptop with 512mb, running Fedora 8. I'm running
Galeon and Evolution, and they're eating up 304M RAM and 428M swap.

Sigh.