firefox vs epiphany

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Mon Dec 3 02:23:21 UTC 2007

On Sun, 2007-12-02 at 20:16 -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 19:51:14 -0500
> Jon Nettleton <jon.nettleton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Everything that it lacks is trumped by the integration with the
> > gnome desktop.
>
> I had the exact opposite.  I tried epiphany and I could find no
> compelling reason to continue using it.  I couldn't find one single
> thing that it brought to the table that I either already got with
> Firefox, or just plain didn't find useful.
>
> What do you mean by "integration" in this context, particularly beyond
> what FF gets us.

Let me clarify, in no particular order

1) Visual integration.  Epiphany always matches the rest of my desktops
applications.  Some people might say "eh", but I find it much nicer.
2) When I am not connected to a network Epiphany goes to offline mode.
3) Right clicking and choosing view image launches eog where I can
actually zoom in and see the image.  I mean how useless is this feature
in firefox?  Select view image and it opens another enormous window
showing the image at exactly the same size.
4) Possibly the thing that I love more than anything is the "Most
Visited" topic pull-down.  I bookmark sites, and the browser
automatically keeps track of what I connect to most and gives me a nice
pull down list.

Don't get me wrong, I still use Firefox for serious development and the
like.  I just find the simplicity of epiphany quite nice for day to day
browsing.

Jon