firefox vs epiphany

Christopher Aillon caillon at redhat.com
Mon Dec 3 15:16:11 UTC 2007

On 12/02/2007 08:55 PM, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> What is the reasoning for making firefox the default instead of epiphany
> for the gnome desktop? Does epiphany lack certain features?

The main reasons are:

* Firefox has better brand global recognition.  Chances are higher that
a random user will expect Firefox to be the default than other browsers.
  More advanced users will have heard of different browsers and can
install them if preferred.

* Traditionally, other applications required firefox to be installed.
Namely yelp, devhelp, epiphany (and once upon a time evolution).

* Firefox has more extensions available.

* Much to my dismay, many web authors will look for only IE or Firefox.
  There are websites that actually STOP WORKING if the browser is not
Firefox (or IE).  Firefox CVS HEAD builds recently stopped reporting
"Firefox" in the useragent string for example which made many sites[1]
break.

[1]
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/showdependencytree.cgi?id=334967&hide_resolved=1