Re: firefox vs epiphany

On Mon, 2007-12-03 at 16:16 +0100, Christopher Aillon wrote:
> On 12/02/2007 08:55 PM, Louis E Garcia II wrote:
> > What is the reasoning for making firefox the default instead of epiphany
> > for the gnome desktop? Does epiphany lack certain features?
>
> The main reasons are:
>
> * Firefox has better brand global recognition.  Chances are higher that
> a random user will expect Firefox to be the default than other browsers.

Here's a funny story: Ironically enough up until F8 we used the generic
Web Browser icon on the panel on a default install. The icon looked like
planet earth with what looked like a mouse with a cable tied around it.
It was Bluecurve style. Fortunately mclasen fixed this for F8 such that
the correct icon on the panel for the default browser is chosen.

It's a bit funny we didn't fix this earlier; either we don't really care
as much as we should about brand recognition.. or we're not very good at
polishing. Something to keep in mind and learn from.

     David