[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]

Re: Bootup speed for F8



Am Sonntag, den 02.12.2007, 22:58 -0800 schrieb Andrew Farris:
> Stewart Adam wrote:
> > On Sat, 2007-12-01 at 23:40 +0100, Linus Walleij wrote:
> >> Depends on how you define boot time. If you say boot is done when the 
> >> system is interactive, you cut several seconds.
> >>
> >> "Other OS:es" obviously use this approach, the perceptual being what 
> >> matters.
> >>
> >> Surely, this must be fixable, it'd be such a boost..
> >>
> >> Linus
> > That's exactly what I mean - An early login can make the boot seem to
> > boot much faster even if it really isn't. Waiting is what makes things
> > seem long; the faster the user interacts, the faster things seem.
> > 
> > Stewart
> 
> Sure thats true, but perception is also just a fake improvement, and once the
> user gets used to seeing the login earlier... 

I want to login more quickly and start gnome-terminal, sometimes
Firefox. What do other people want to do?

> they'll get more and more
> discontent with how long it takes to be usable after they logged in (afterall

Better stay away from that slippery slope of progress then!

> they *already logged in*).  For a great example of why this can be frustrating,
> install a copy of Vista; its 'boot time' is great,

Yep. It's really fast, versus Fedora which takes a couple of minutes.

>  but you login and wait... and
> wait... and wait.  When you do see the desktop you still can't do anything
> useful 

I can load putty or Firefox. That's quite useful.

> with it because the system is still so heavily loaded with background
> processes starting.  Its much the same with xp, but vista made it even worse,
> while the 'boot time' is even lower.

Works for me. Resume takes just a few seconds too.

> I have always appreciated the fact that a machine thats STARTED in linux can be
> logged into quickly and be useful with minimal delay.  The general case with
> windows which delays many background processes until login is that you can boot
> your system and walk away to get coffee... but when you come back you'll still
> sit there waiting after login before you can work.
> 
> I'm only bringing up the windows comparison for contrast, because MS has been
> working hard to bring about this same early login illusion.
> 
> Making the system *actually usable* sooner is where development time and effort
> should be spent rather than spending time to fake it.  If a valid argument can
> be made for a method to get desktop software to begin processing earlier due to
> early login then lets talk about that.  If its nothing more than login without
> letting CPU cycles go toward the desktop startup then why bother?
> 
> -- 
> Andrew Farris <lordmorgul gmail com> <ajfarris gmail com>
>    gpg 0xC99B1DF3 at pgp.mit.edu
> 
> No one now has, and no one will ever again get, the big picture. - Daniel Geer
> ----                                                                       ----
> 


[Date Prev][Date Next]   [Thread Prev][Thread Next]   [Thread Index] [Date Index] [Author Index]