Upstream package splitted into sub-packages: ipe, figtoipe.

Laurent Rineau laurent.rineau__fedora at normalesup.org
Tue Dec 4 08:27:09 UTC 2007

Hi,

One of my packages, ipe, has been splitted upstream into two sub-packages.
ipe-6.0pre28 was shipping the tool "figtoipe", and as for ipe-6.0pre30
figtoipe is now another tarball.

What could I do?

  1- I can use two sources to build my package, and let the package
ipe-6.0-0.23.pre30 ship figtoipe.
  2- I can make figtoipe be a sub-package.
  3- I can submit a review request for figtoipe, as it is an external tool.

What is the best solution? figoipe-20071004.tar.gz is a very small tarball:
11KB. See http://luaforge.net/frs/?group_id=305

Anyway, if I split ipe into two packages, or two sub-packages, how can I
provide an upgrade path for users that assume that /usr/bin/figtoipe is
provided by ipe, without adding a hard-coded Requires? I am not sure that a
solution exists.

--
Laurent Rineau
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LaurentRineau