OMGWTF !! Remote Desktop in Fedora 8

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 17:44:33 UTC 2007

Kulbir Saini wrote:

>   But the with vncviewer doesn't give you the desktop you have on the server.
> It creates/initializes another desktop env and give access to it. And Remote
> Desktop gives access to the exact desktop you have opened on the server. So,
> when I connect to the Remote Desktop, it unlocks the screen on the server
> and anybody who is nearby can capture the machine.

The approach I use is to always use the freenx server and the free NX
client from www.nomachine.com instead of the console even for access in
the same office.  It is fast enough that you barely notice the
difference if at all - and you can connect from windows or a Mac as well
as Linux.   Then when you leave you can suspend the session and there is
nothing visible until you reconnect although everything keeps running.
One thing that makes this practical for me is that I have a dual-monitor
windows box on my desk and I park the NX client so it fills one of the
monitors, giving the effect of a separate machine except it doesn't have
to be nearby and I can cut and paste between programs on both systems,
but it works so well that I'd consider it even if I only had a single
machine.  You could log in as a dummy user that couldn't directly access
anything important, then run everything in an NX session connected back
to the same machine as your real user and when you connect remotely
you'd get the session no one can see.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com