how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Hi,

Fedora 8 was working fine until I reinstalled it (but keeping my home dir intact). How sound doesn't work on many applications. This is likely a pulseaudio issue.

Having looked at PulseAudio documentation, I haven't found out "the big picture", i.e., how it is supposed to work. Should there be a daemon running or something? Lot of docs also say "pulseaudio is now default" but I haven't found out where this can be configured i.e. where you can turn it off again [1] if you don't like it or check that everything is configured as required.

The error messages from non-working apps give a hint that a daemon should be running or that permissions are somehow off.

$ xmms *
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused

** WARNING **: alsa_setup(): Failed to open pcm device (default): Connection refused

$ mplayer *
*** PULSEAUDIO: Unable to connect: Connection refused
[AO_ALSA] Playback open error: Connection refused
Could not open/initialize audio device -> no sound.
Audio: no sound
Video: no video

The solution isn't as simple as starting pulseaudio, though:

$ pulseaudio
W: alsa-util.c: Cannot find mixer control "Master".
E: module-alsa-source.c: Error opening PCM device hw:0: No such file or directory E: module.c: Failed to load module "module-alsa-source" (argument: "device=hw:0 source_name=alsa_input.pci_1002_4383_alsa_capture_0"): initialization failed.

When you background the process and run xmms again, you get:

Message: alsa_setup(): Cannot set mmap'ed mode: Invalid argument. falling back to direct write

.. and xmms starts playing but there is no sound. No error message on mplayer, but again there is no sound.

[1] this seems to give a lead though:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2007-October/msg01325.html