Re: how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Yeah, I guess I should setup something to start pulseaudio in Xfce,
which I was really hoping to avoid.

I was under the mistaken impression that if pulseaudio wasn't running,
then things would fall back to raw alsa and just work as before. ;(
Sadly, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Hopefully bug 411151 will get fixed in the f9 cycle. Not sure if it's
worth pushing a f8 update with a pulseaudio starting script or not. ;(

Ideally, I would like to see ConsoleKit and pulseaudio expand to handle
cases like:

- user logging in on vty.
- user logging in on vty and running startx/xinit
- startup processes that need to be able to make sounds.
- sound available in the gdm login screen
- system processes that need to generate sounds on the console.

kevin