Re: Game content autodownloader

On Mon, 2007-12-17 at 10:37 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> IMHO the right solution for this problem would be to ban autodownloader and
> everything using it (or worse, requiring original proprietary and charged-for
> game CDs) from the distribution. I see that tool as both an ugly kludge and a
> way to circumvent Fedora's licensing requirements. It also sends the entirely
> wrong message to upstream projects: before, it was "If you want to have your
> game in Fedora, you have to fix your licensing.", now it's "We'll just hack
> around it with autodownloader and ignore our Fedora Objectives entirely.". :-(
> In addition, for data files where the license allows non-commercial
> redistribution, it would IMHO be more user-friendly to have a fully-playable
> package in rpmfusion non-free than an autodownloader hack in Fedora.

I am one of the few and the proud who went out and bought the Linux
edition of Quake 3 when it came out. I rather like being able to play it
again. Good luck getting the original binaries to work on a modern
system...

What are the licensing implications of this? Hell if I know. The game
engine is GPL. The game content I bought legitimately. Dare I draw the
parallel to web browsers, which are used to view all kinds of content
that *isn't* licensed properly? I suddenly feel a strong sense of deja
vu...