how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Dec 18 18:58:45 UTC 2007

On Tue, 18 Dec 2007 19:26:29 +0100
mzerqung at 0pointer.de (Lennart Poettering) wrote:

> On Tue, 18.12.07 10:20, Tomasz Torcz (tomek at crocom.com.pl) wrote:
>
> > > You can configure PA so that it is autospawned when needed.
> > > However, I do not recommend this. I recommend to start it from
> > > the session manager like we do it right now for KDE and GNOME.
> > > Why? Because PA nowadays does much more than just proxying access
> > > to the hw. It reacts on hotplug events, network configuration
> > > changes, certain X11 events, it is a network server, and so on
> > > and so on. For all these reasons it is better to leave PA running
> > > all the time.
> >
> >   If PA is so important, why not start it system-wide by default?
>
> "Importance" is not really a good reason for making a daemon
> system-wide instead of per-session.
>
> PA is intended to be run as a session daemon. There's some support to
> run it as a system daemon, too. However, unless you really know what
> you do I discourage everyone to use it.
>
> There are many reasons why I chose to make PA a session daemon:
...snipp...

This brings me to the following question:

Why not have a /etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop
to start pulseaudio for user sessions?

Then there would be one place where at least KDE/Gnome/Xfce/any XDG
compliant DE would know to start it. User could go in and
disable/enable it for their session, etc.

I'm sure I am probibly missing something, but this seems like a much
cleaner way to do things.

kevin