Re: how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Lennart Poettering wrote:
On Tue, 18.12.07 13:46, Denis Leroy (denis poolshark org) wrote:

It's not that PA doesn't work at all on those special no-X-involved
setups. The only limitation is that you need to run PA manually in
such setups. -- No big deal!
Is there something like a session pam module planned to start PA to
achieve independence from the the login entry point?
I am not convinced that PAM is the right place to start any daemons.
But gdm is?
why not start PA from an init script ?

Because it is a per-user/per-session daemon. Not a system daemon.

but there's only one set of speakers per system, so I don't understand the logic here. Multiple instances of PA can coexist ? Does PA handle user switching correctly for example ? What if i want somebody to connect through ssh on my system and run an mp3 for me, can i allow them to do so ?