how is pulseaudio supposed to work?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 22:33:08 UTC 2007

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Dec 18, 2007 11:57 AM, Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:
>> I explained that already twice: with the help of HAL/CK we are
>> notified whenever the active session changes and thus can give up
>> access to the audio hw and open it again when needed. That works fine,
>> and is part of F8.
>
> I think one of the problems here is CK runs against a body of shared
> administration experience
> in the community. There isn't a shared understanding of how to use CK
> effectively to get common hardware related admin crap done, so as a
> result any explanation on how to do something semi-involved as an
> administrator which boils down to "it uses CK to do it" just doesn't
> connect.

Yes, that doesn't make any sense to me - even the concept of 'active
session'.  If your X display is on a nearby machine (or several) but you
want local audio, is that 'active' or not in PA speak?  What if you have
mythtv running but not related to a logged in session and also want to
log in?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com