Re: Mock: loss of login shell

On Wed, 2007-12-19 at 22:00 +0100, Jos Vos wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 19, 2007 at 02:14:05PM -0600, Steve Conklin wrote:
>
> > Mock no longer uses a login shell for builds.
> >
> > The way I discovered this is that the ipsec-tools package stopped
> > building. The reason is that it has a BuildRequires for the krb5-devel
> > package, from which it uses krb5-config.
> >
> > krb5-config is installed in /usr/kerberos/bin/, and the user's path is
> > provided by /etc/profile.d/krb5-devel.sh
> >
> > No user shell, therefore no path, and configure fails to find krb5-config.
>
> I think mock is wrong.  It's obvious that the devel packages assume
> developers (like package builders, either human or not ;-)) run the
> /etc/profile.d scripts.  T

It's only broken development packages which require setting environment
variables like this.  The correct way to do parallel installation is:

http://www106.pair.com/rhp/parallel.html

I'm sure there's some historical reason krb5-config is not in /usr/bin,
but it's a design flaw in the software.

The environment variable approach seems easy (no need to rename
binaries), but falls over when you need to compile applications against
multiple library versions.