Re: Wiki Migration

Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On Dec 20, 2007 7:38 PM, John Poelstra <poelstra redhat com> wrote:

6) It can't handle release day

What can beyond static html pages? This has been a problem with any
website from RHL-5.0 onward.. we increase the CPU/Memory of the
servers and we always fell back with static webpages for release day
(or 12 hours into release day when the website had completely come to
a standstill).

Actually the issue here is Moin's inability to cache properly. We've actually added a psudo mod_headers / mod_cache type deal to get it to cache. This combined with the inability to run Moin in a cluster without something like GFS brings forth scaling issues. Moin is great for smaller deployments but I suspect we have long out-grown it. The wiki did OK this last release, we did some horrible things to it (that caused file corruption that we later had to go back and fix) but all in all the wiki was more available than not according to the logs (less than 1% 503 IIRC) Needless to say a lot of our problems are caused by design problems, not so much technical ones and thats what makes it so hard to stay with Moin.

Having said that, moving away isn't very feasible either. We're in a tough spot for sure.

   -Mike