Delays in package processing

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Fri Dec 21 15:10:09 UTC 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:59:58 +0100
Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

> > Ralf, please don't confuse these things.
> Rest assured, I don't confuse them - I feel you to be wanting to
> outlaw updating packages in released distros in general.

Nope not at all.  I just want those updates to count for something.

> >   I'm perfectly fine and
> > encourage bugfixing across releases.  What I'm discouraging is
> > version upgrades for new features or spurious builds for spec fixes
> > and other unnecessary things that are done across the releases
> > trees, not just on rawhide.
> Of cause such things are happening, I don't deny them, but ... how can
> you be sure these updates won't fix something you're not aware about?
>
> When I have look at the embarrassing shape some packages are in (eg.
> SELinux, evolution just to name a few), I can only conclude Fedora
> doesn't see enough updates (Fortunately some devs seem to have learned
> their lessons. Chapeau to mebrown who as I feel is doing a terrific
> job on getting mock on FC8 in a stable shape).
>
> >   These are the things that I don't like to see, and these are
> > the things that lessen the value of a release.
> The problem is: Except of trivial cases, they are very hard to
> recognize to somebody who is not deeply familiar with a package.

I don't disagree that this is the person best to make the decision.
What I'm asking for is ideas or thoughts on how to educate these folks
on what the Project would like to see out of updates, so that they have
some yardstick to measure their knowledge against to see if the update
should really go out or not.

--
Jesse Keating