Hardware or software problem with touchpad?

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 07:02:44 UTC 2007

Ola Thoresen wrote:
> For the last week or so my mouse pointer has behaved like crazy.  This
> is on a standard Compal "noname" laptop with a touchpad.  On my desktop
> (dell something) with an USB-mouse everyting works fine.
> Both are running rawhide, updated yesterday.
>
> The touchpad works fine for 10-20 seconds, before the cursor starts
> moving randomly up/down/left/right, clicking everything on its way.  It
> only happens when I actually use the touchpad. So I can use tha laptop
> with no problem as long as I dont need the mouse.
> The issue is present with both gpm (console) and X (tested with GNOME
> and KDE).
>
> Before I post a bug (I searched bugzilla, but could not find anything
> that looked familiar) I thought i'd just check if this is something
> others might have experienced, or else it might really be a
> hardware-problem.

Have you tried disabling the hardware cursor option in xorg.conf?  I believe
this was posted to list a few times around the xorg release upgrade / abi change
although I never had issues with my mouse still using hwcursor; that might help
with erratic motion or laggy behavior.

Try:
Option "SWcursor"

--