anaconda updates / respins (was: Re: Delays in package processing)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Dec 22 13:48:32 UTC 2007

On 22.12.2007 14:32, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:15:47 +0530
> "Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray" <debarshi.ray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> Maybe half way through as in Fedora 8.5 or something like that
>>> where all the common bugs get fixed?
>> Not all fixes, but just the installer specific ones would be enough.
> This assumes that the installer from F8 would get updates.  It
> doesn't.  Installer work is entirely done on the /next/ release, and
> interspersed with all the new features we're doing.  To require the
> installer folks to work on updates to the old installer would be a sure
> way to stagnate future development.

Sorry, I might be shortsighted, but why is the installer different to
other packages? Sure, it's a bit more work to produce updates for older
releases, but isn't that what we do everywhere else as well? So why
can't the installer guys do it as well?

Further: we create update images like
http://katzj.fedorapeople.org/updates-f8-yumloop.img
so those problems we are talking about get analyzed and fixed already.
But the fix is hard to access for some people; and it's a extra step you
need to know about. All we'd need to do is to get this and similar
*small* updates into a updated install iso image  and we'd make a lot
people happy that currently have a hard time installing Fedora.

Cu
knurd