Firefox 3 Beta 2 in Rawhide

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Sun Dec 23 02:44:10 UTC 2007

drago01 wrote:
> On Dec 23, 2007 1:43 AM, Chuck Anderson <cra at wpi.edu> wrote:
>> On Sun, Dec 23, 2007 at 12:16:40AM +0100, drago01 wrote:
>>> For me it refuses to load any site until I change
>>> "network.dns.disableIPv6" to "true"
>>> So I propose to make this the default ..
>> Works fine for me without doing that.  Let's not supposedly "fix"
>> things by crippling new functionality and discouraging adoption of new
>> technology, shall we?  What is the real problem here?  We should be
>> focused on fixing that instead.
>
> the problem is that it does not work with some ISP .. and thats not
> something that we can fix that easily (well or we can try to add some
> fallback logic)

Is it perhaps 'prefering' IPv6 and you've configured an IPv6 address locally
while your ISP won't respond properly to IPv6 -> IPv4 nat translation?  I'd
suggest making sure your local network configuration has IPv6 disabled and see
if that firefox now does not care whether IPv6 is not disabled.

If your ISP misbehaves, try not letting IPv6 traffic out of your machine (don't
configure an address for the family).  The application should not choose to try
and generate IPv6 traffic if it is not told you have IPv6 connectivity.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>