Re: Heads up: new sysprof package without binary kernel module

On Thu, 2007-12-27 at 11:36 +0100, Gianluca Sforna wrote:
> As you surely know, all the (two...) binaries kernel modules we used
> to ship were removed from rawhide.
> As a result, the sysprof package can't work due to the missing kernel module.
> I investigated the possibility of including the needed module in the kernel:
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.kernel/802
> but it seems it's not going to happen (at least, not soon enough...)
> so here is my B plan...
> I prepared a sysprof update with the following modifications:
> 1. provide a subpackage with the kernel module sources
> 2. let this package obsolete kmod-sysprof
> 3. provide a build procedure for the kernel module
> 4. patch the main sysprof application to help the user understanding
> what is going on

Please don't do this. What would be an advantage of this approach
compared to shipping a binary module? The solution that seems most
logical for me is to remove the sysprof package from Fedora altogether,
and it will surely find some love in Livna and RPMFusion.