Announcing LHCP - Linux Hardware Compatibility Project

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Thu Feb 1 17:50:45 UTC 2007

Hi Phil,

On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 16:47 +0100, Phil Knirsch wrote:

> Hm, i've talked also with a few other folks here and maybe a short
> description would help a lot. Or do something like:
>
>    Hibernate (suspend to memory)
>
> and
>
>    Suspend (suspend to harddisk)

It's exactly vice versa ;-). At least here on my Desktop(tm)(*),
"Hibernate" suspends to disk and the "Suspend" entry of the power
manager applet has a nice stylized memory module overlay (though I
haven't tried it out lately as I should have).

(*): Given some not quite recent discussions on this list, my not
mentioning what desktop environment I'm using should give you an idea
what I use. Sort of ;-P.

> although the later really looks wierd as suspend is used twice there.
> I'll try a few things and see what looks best, probably dicing up the
> description.

Maybe:

Hibernate (to disk)

and:

Suspend (to memory)

Ciao,
Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759