/etc/init.d in the default $PATH ?

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Sat Feb 3 16:13:16 UTC 2007

2007/1/27, jam at zoidtechnologies.com <jam at zoidtechnologies.com>:
> On Sat, Jan 27, 2007 at 04:04:39PM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> > So, what it the rationale for /etc/init.d not being in the default
> > $PATH, for root at least?
> >

> I've never had to execute anything directly in /etc/init.d/ -- there is the
> "service" command that runs those files for me, at least in fedora. you can
> always modify $PATH by dropping a file into /etc/profile.d/ if you *really*
> want this sort of thing to be possible. I would not want to see it in fedora
> though.

It'll be nice if command-completion in bash and zsh can provide the
list of available services .. otherwise, using zsh, there are
ease-of-use arguments for having init.d in $PATH

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.wordpress.com/

My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not signed.
                -- Christopher Morley