Re: Default MTA for Fedora 7

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 19:48 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> Not for the desktop MTA, certainly.

Not for _any_ MTA as far as I can tell. Although I conceded UUCP I
suspect we could even do that if we cared.

>  Nor for the default MTA either (although
> as noted, I think exim is overkill there too).

There's a lot to be said for a dead simple program as /usr/lib/sendmail
which doesn't listen on port 25 and which isn't capable of much more
than sending to an external smarthost after a bit of address rewriting.
I don't think we even want local delivery.

It's obviously something that a no-setuid installation of Exim could do
with a very simple configuration file, but you're probably right that
it's overkill. Although it does have the advantage that you then have a
single tool which covers users from the very low end to the very high
end without needing to change tools when they outgrow it.

--
dwmw2