Re: Default MTA for Fedora 7

David Woodhouse <dwmw2 <at> infradead.org> writes:

> If we ship a fully-fledged MTA as default, then Exim seems to make most
> sense.

> But again, there's an
> advantage to having a single tool which can provide the _full_ range of
> functionality from low end to high end without the user ever having to
> throw one tool away and start learning a new one from scratch because
> they want to do something which the one they're currently using can't
> handle.

Never used Exim, so I'm not really sure how much truth is in the author's

"The bottom line is that Exim does not perform particularly well in
environments where the queue regularly gets very large. It was never
designed for this; deliveries from the queue were always intended to be
'exceptions' rather than the norm."

Wouldn't that be a bit of a concern, at least on the server? Maybe we should
have one default for the Server and some other for the Desktop spin?

One other question - do Fedora packages ship with Exim set SUID root? Is that
something to worry about?

PS. As I said, never used Exim - just asking out of curiosity.