Using qemu to test images

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Wed Feb 7 08:45:39 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 01:53 -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > This is just like what I call on x86, module the -system-ppc.  However when I
> > connect to VNC I see http://people.redhat.com/jkeating/qemu-ppc.png
>
> Looks like a bad OF device tree (it can't find the devices it's looking
> for via get-property). Someone like dwmw2 who actually tests Fedora on
> qemu-ppc might know more about which package/file you want to tweak.

I've never actually looked at qemu's whole-system emulation. Well, not
since a long time before I started 'owning' it in Extras at least. I'll
take a look.

But it looks like the BIOS isn't capable of executing arbitrary Forth
scripts like the one we use to tell the difference between 32-bit and
64-bit machines. The easiest fix for that is just to tell it to boot
cd :,\ppc\mac\yaboot directly instead of screwing around with the Forth
script which is marked as the Mac-bootable thing. You should then find
that yaboot finds the config file in /etc/yaboot.conf which lets you
choose _either_ 32-bit or 64-bit kernel.

Failing that, just run /images/netboot/ppc32.img which is the full
kernel+initrd bundle. It's designed for netbooting but works perfectly
well like that too (it's what we have to do on Pegasos where the
firmware sucks too).

I'll see if I can find a better answer. Probably not this week though,
and certainly not next week as I'll be away from Friday afternoon.
P'raps ask on the qemu-devel list?

--
dwmw2