Default MTA for Fedora 7

Jarod Wilson jwilson at redhat.com
Wed Feb 7 14:36:40 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 07 February 2007 09:23, Nils Philippsen wrote:

> > > Is there really anything useful left which exim can't do? UUCP bang
> > > paths are the only limitation I can think of off the cuff, and
> > > hopefully noone uses those. Exim can do UUCP with domain addressing
> > > though, if anyone still uses UUCP.
> >
> > Yes, I have a few sites that require it.... but then I also know how
> > to 'yum install sendmail' too, as I'm sure just about everyone who
> > uses UUCP does, or else compiles sendmail themsleves.
>
> This would put me in the "just not about everyone" group as I use
> postfix and UUCP. It was really easy to setup, but I might have to try
> out something different for more effective anti-spam stuff.

I'm a postfix user too. No uucp though. Dual-mta postfix setup with maia
mailguard (a fork of amavisd-new, if you will) in between nuking spam. (With
some counter-measures at the first postfix instance level too). Works
extremely well for me.

As for the performance issue someone else quoted regarding exim... At one
point in time, I worked at a place that had lots of mail servers moving tens
of millions of emails per day. There was no way in hell exim could handle the
load (we tried). Both sendmail and qmail (ew) had their issues as well.
Postfix was rock-solid, and had no problems holding up under the stress.
Granted, this is a few years ago now, so postfix could have regressed
(unlikely) and the others (save qmail) could have improved...

Postfix: the choice of spammers^Wlegitimate high-volume email
businesses?... :)

--
Jarod Wilson
jwilson at redhat.com