Creating a jackuser group

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Wed Feb 7 19:56:07 UTC 2007

Matthias Clasen wrote:

> No, regular users will not be glad if they are forced to answer a
> question they have absolutely no idea about. How is a normal user going
> to be able to answer the question "Do you want to be added to the
> 'realtime' UNIX group" ?

Why use such an obscure phrase? Think from the user's perspective, not
from the OS's.

"Enter root password to improve audio performance for your account"

Better, huh? ;-)

> If realtime is a requirement for acceptable audio experience, then
> everybody needs to get it without extra questions asked. If it is not,
> then why bother ?

It's not either black or white.

Just to play MP3s, RT is not needed, indeed.
But to run a software synth and jackd in any other way than just plain
casual, it pretty much is a requirement.

There might be some security implications to allowing each and every
user account RT capabilities by default. But I'll leave that explanation
to people who are more knowledgeable in this field.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/