Re: Is there a NFS alternative?

On Wed, 2007-02-07 at 16:02 -0800, Daniel Yek wrote:
> I am hoping for a secure solution to mount directories "shared out" from my
> other computer located remotely over the Internet. So that I can edit
> source files and execute programs "locally" and compile remotely (a much
> faster machine).

Editing of source files works quite nicely over ssh given a capable
editor.

$ emacs /dwmw2 pentafluge infradead org:/home/dwmw2/public_html/foo.html &

And obviously SSH is clever enough that that kind of trick even works
for hosts within private networks, because you can play tricks with
ProxyCommand to make 'ssh somehost.company.internal' entirely
transparent.

Mostly I just use the above trick with emacs, and rsync -- which again
works over SSH so it's easy to get to/from company-internal machines.

--
dwmw2