Re: tcl 8.5 alpha in fedora 7?

jfontain free fr wrote:
Quoting Michael Thomas <wart kobold org>:

Jean-Luc Fontaine wrote:

Michael Thomas wrote:
Kevin Kofler wrote:
Jean-Luc Fontaine <jfontain <at> free.fr> writes:
Well, then there's gonna be a big problem with blt (now in extras, a
graphical library) which is far from ready to compile against
tcl-8.5,
The strange thing is that it doesn't show up in the "broken
dependencies" list, so RPM thinks the version built against 8.4 is
still going to run (there's no dependency on the versioned soname).
I don't know whether that's true.
It's likely compiled against the Tcl stubs library,
blt certainly is not: would you be willing to try to make it work?
(like I mentioned before, I cannot do it).
But be advised that the blt CVS does not even compile...
Yes, I'm willing to work on it.  I maintain almost 20 other Tcl
extensions, so I wouldn't be surprised to run into the same problems in
multiple places.

Great! Of course I will be helping testing it.

I was able to get BLT to build and load against tcl 8.5a5 using this patch, but haven't done any other testing. Can you try it out and see if there are any runtime problems?

http://www.kobold.org/~wart/fedora/blt-2.4z-tcl85.patch

binary and src rpms for testing:

http://www.kobold.org/~wart/fedora/blt-2.4-15.z.fc7.1.i386.rpm
http://www.kobold.org/~wart/fedora/blt-2.4-15.z.fc7.1.src.rpm