/tmp filling up

Michel Salim michel.salim at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 23:55:27 UTC 2007

2007/2/13, Matthew Miller <mattdm at mattdm.org>:
> On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 01:28:05PM -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
> > Has anyone else experienced their /tmp directory filling up with
> > tmpXXXXXX.tmp files? It reliably occurs on two separate installs of F7
> > I've done after several hours of usage, entirely filling up the
> > partition (how I wished I'd put /tmp on a separate partition).
>
> Many programs respect the environment variables TMP and/or TMPDIR; try
> setting that to a bigger directory (I use ~/tmp for my personal stuff, and
> then I also run tmpwatch on that directory from my user crontab).

That won't help on a laptop -- / normally has about 10 GB free space,
and it would entirely fill up once this bug triggers. I don't think it
matters how much space you have free.

> When the file is no longer actually open. So if the program that made the
> file is still using it, it won't be really removed even though it was
> unlinked.

Hmm. That narrows it down a bit - the culprit must be something that
is run automatically when GNOME starts. I'll cook up something that
will watch for a large file in /tmp and then find its owner.

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.wordpress.com/

My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not signed.
                -- Christopher Morley