Re: /tmp filling up

2007/2/13, Matthew Miller <mattdm mattdm org>:
On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 06:55:27PM -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
> >> Has anyone else experienced their /tmp directory filling up with
> >> tmpXXXXXX.tmp files? It reliably occurs on two separate installs of F7
> >> I've done after several hours of usage, entirely filling up the
> >> partition (how I wished I'd put /tmp on a separate partition).
> >Many programs respect the environment variables TMP and/or TMPDIR; try
> >setting that to a bigger directory (I use ~/tmp for my personal stuff, and
> >then I also run tmpwatch on that directory from my user crontab).
> That won't help on a laptop -- / normally has about 10 GB free space,
> and it would entirely fill up once this bug triggers. I don't think it
> matters how much space you have free.

Okay, but you could put it to a smaller separate partition, fulfilling your
wish above.

> Hmm. That narrows it down a bit - the culprit must be something that
> is run automatically when GNOME starts. I'll cook up something that
> will watch for a large file in /tmp and then find its owner.

lsof.

well, lsof + inotify-tools. I want an early warning system, not find
out when things start breaking.

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.wordpress.com/

My theology, briefly, is that the universe was dictated but not signed.
               -- Christopher Morley