Core values

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 01:25:31 UTC 2007

On 2/22/07, Eric S. Raymond <esr at thyrsus.com> wrote:
> Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com>:
> > Market share means nothing if we sacrifice our core values for a few more
> > percentage points.
>
> This is so out of contact with reality that it makes me grind my teeth.
>
> Want to fix or scrap the damned patent system? Want to get the damned
> DMCA repealed?  Do you want even as little a thing as 3D graphics and
> wireless cards with open specs?
>
> To get these things, we certainly need market share over 30% and probably
> need market share over 50%.  We need politicians and vendors to fear
> our wrath.
>
> It wasn't 'sacrificing our core values' to ship a binary Netscape
> blob until Mozilla was ready. It won't be sacrificing our core values
> to ship proprietary codecs until we are positioned to crush them out
> of existence.
>
> The Ubuntu crowd gets this.  The Fedora crowd doesn't.  That difference is
> nowhere near the only reason I'm gone, but it's a big one.

Seem slike Ubuntu people tend to be people just to cheap to buy a Mac.
What it *sounds* like you need/want is a Mac. They are really quite
nice - I was on one the other day - all the multimedia that you can
possibly shale a stick at.

I kinda like Fedora though, and I'll be here for awhile, and when I
get a contracts for projects, i'll be sure to suggest CentOS or RHEL.

But yah...head over to an apple store. Macs are quite nice.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud