Is there room for improvement in rescue mode? (was Re: Goodbye, Fedora)

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Thu Feb 22 19:20:10 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-02-22 at 10:05 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> Does it make sense to spend some effort making a more featurefull
> rescue-like environment with guided troubleshooting characteristics?

This is something that comes up time and time again (there's an open bug
about it as well) and that I think makes a lot of sense to do, it's just
that it's something the core anaconda team never gets around to.  But
it's something that should be pretty easy to dive into; for the most
part, there isn't the same high cost of entry that there is for most
anaconda hacking and even just "script to run to fix $FOO" could be used
to populate the start of a "fix common problems" menu for rescue mode.
Given the fact that this keeps coming up, I just started a page at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/RescueMode to somewhat track what
needs doing and some of the ideas.

If someone were to start looking at it, we could probably even get some
simple stuff done for F7 since we're not talking about huge amounts of
stuff.  Also, once we have the basics, we can think about things like
integrating the functionality into the live CD as well.

Jeremy