keeping all he proprietary stuff away from Fedora (Was: Re: Goodbye, Fedora)

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Fri Feb 23 12:15:54 UTC 2007

On 23.02.2007 11:16, Thomas M Steenholdt wrote:
> Gilboa Davara wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 03:03 -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
>> [snip, snip, snip]
>> Am I the only one that finds ESR's post even more amusing now that
>> Microsoft lost a 1.52B$ patent case against Alcatel-Lucent concerning
>> the use of MP3 technology in WMP? [1]
>> - Gilboa
>> [1] http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=6198
> Amusing or not, it does confirm that our current policy of keeping all
> the proprietary stuff away from Fedora, is really for the best. Even if
> users have to pull those packages from 3rd party repos.

Agreed. Nevertheless it IMHO would be helpful,

- if we had one major 3rd party repo instead of multiple ones that are
conflicting with each other sometimes

- if that 3rd party repo would have be slitted in non-free stuff and
potential harmful stuff, so users and contributors from the US and some
other country's can safely work with the non-free repo without getting
involved with the more problematic stuff

- if we had some kind backing for a non-free repo from Red Hat or some
other "Big Company" when it comes to knocking of doors to ask questions
like "Hi Adobe, may we include a Adobe Reader RPM in the non-free
community repo foo? They would do some some minor adjustments to the RPM
to make it perfectly work with Fedora; that best for both sides"

Just my 2 cent.

CU
thl