Re: FC6 updates broken deps?

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 11:11 -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> dragoran wrote:
>
> > because this way its nothing but a hack that does not solve the main
> > problem:
> > yum should _NOT_ fail to update a package because a unreleated package
> > has a dep problem.
>
> Let me re-phrase it:
>
> The light in the kitchen should not fail to function because a bulb in
> the basement is broken.

to extend the analogy:
if the bulb in the basement being out means there could well be a
murderer down there, then maybe the door to the house shouldn't open at
all. :)

> Having a modular architecture is fine and all, but basic functionality
> _must_ be included in the core. The skip-broken thing is so obvious, it
> boggles the mind there's even a discussion about it.
>
> It would be nice if Red Hat could conduct (more) usability tests on
> software that's important for the OS. That would probably de-nerdify a
> lot of applications.

To be clear:
 If you'd like to help with yum, I'd appreciate it. Yelling the same
thing over and over again isn't really helping.

-sv