Re: Detecting the need for additional kernel options?

2007/2/26, Jeremy Katz <katzj redhat com>:
On Sat, 2007-02-24 at 12:34 -0500, Michel Salim wrote:
> Is Anaconda currently checking the machine configuration against a
> compatibility database? On some AMD64 laptops (including my HP L2000),
> the machine would lock up randomly (without any log message) if booted
> without "noapic" (I added "nosmp" for good measure).

Instead of having a database of things like this, maybe it makes more
sense to fix them in the kernel?  :-)  And if there is a real hardware
need for things like this, it's very possible to use dmi for setting a
lot of it -- and that even helps the case for when you boot into the
installer!  Or a live CD, etc etc etc

In this particular instance it turns out (most likely) to be an
overheating issue -- once I removed one of my two RAM modules
everything is more stable. So noapic is not the culprit in this case.

It might still be useful to have such a database, so
1) users of affected hardware don't spend too much time diagnosing the problem
2) kernel developers have a single place to look for compatibility issues

Regards,

--
Michel Salim
http://hircus.wordpress.com/