Fedora 7

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Fri Jan 5 16:42:31 UTC 2007

Matthew Miller wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2007 at 08:34:52PM +0530, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>>> Many of those packages are just going to need to get updated to the latest
>>> versions over the network eventually. If you've got the bandwidth for
>>> bittorrent, you've got the bandwidth to do a network install.
>> You are making a assumption that the same person is using bittorrent and
>> the installation. That's far from true. I can download using bittorrent
>> and burn several thousand copies for friends who dont have network access.
>
> True, but in my experience, that's not the typical case.

You are in a place with tons of bandwidth. I am not surprised by this
thinking but please dont assume this is common scenario.

I think it'd be
> better to make an easy way for you to generate the DVD iso for this specific
> purpose than to provide a general one which will get downloaded millions of
> times by people who would have been better off with a network install.

The solution to people picking the wrong choice for their purpose is
good documentation and guidance with tools where applicable. The only
objection I heard to putting up a DVD is mirror space but we can avoid
that problem by using a different name space so mirrors would have to
pull it explicitly and in bittorrent. Considering that several
distributions like Debian with large ISO sets has managed to get lots of
mirrors, I dont think the problem of mirror space would affect us much.
We should discuss this with mirror administrators rather than assuming
its a problem.

Rahul