Fedora 7 (Everything installs)

Dax Kelson dax at gurulabs.com
Fri Jan 5 22:55:16 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 16:32 -0600, Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:

> While an "everything" install may have made some sense in the pre-Extras
> days, it's just silly now.  There are so many packages in Core+Extras,
> many of which duplicate functionality.  I mean you'll get at least three
> SMTP servers (sendmail, exim, postfix), probably four or five window
> managers/desktop environments, and who knows what else.
>
> Jeff

I disagree. Just because you can't envision a use for it doesn't mean
that others cant.

The alternatives system deployed in RHL ages ago (1999) so that you can
have multiple "conflicting' packages installed at the same time.

For a "production" box that is performing some defined task(s), I agree
that "everything" is a bad idea.

For a "power user"/developer/consultant/helpdesk box, I don't see any
problem with an "everything" install. Hard disk space is cheap and
plentiful (note that 1TB drives were announced yesterday).

There are numerous situations where an application dynamically gets
extra functionality and features if other *addon* or *plugin* packages
get installed.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs