Fedora 7

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Sat Jan 6 12:34:18 UTC 2007

On Saturday 06 January 2007 03:34, Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> Yes it is. This kind of biased branding would lead to the perception
> GNOME is always going to be favored regardless of whether there is a
> active community around other desktop environments within Fedora.
>
> Granted, the number of GNOME developers within Fedora from Red Hat is
> going to ensure that we have a very well integrated GNOME desktop on
> Fedora but having a separate KDE (or XFCE, GNUStep, Enlightenment et
> all) releases gives more space for other active contributors to do the
> hard work they can and try to compete fiercely to provide the best
> possible experience within Fedora.  Dont strike down that opportunity.
>
> I am not biased against GNOME or anything. I use it all the time. Doesnt
> mean we shouldnt strive to accommodate other preferences more.

No, it really doesn't.  Calling it Fedora Desktop means that this is the best
desktop we're putting forward.  This is where the vast majority of
integration work happens, where upstream participation is geared toward,
where the majority of QA goes, etc, etc...

In some magical world where a few years down the road this changes and we put
it all into KDE for a while and KDE gets to the same level as GNOME for us,
we make the switch in our Fedora Desktop spin, as now KDE is where all the
above happens.  End users continue to want a well oiled integrated desktop,
and thus choose the Fedora Desktop spin.  We want to name based on
functionality, not on what particular software is used.  Take a look at your
menu system for example, Calculator, Dictionary, Terminal, Web Browser,
etc...  End users need not care what actual app their using, and if they did
care, Help -> About.  We need to get easily translatable names for the things
we do, so that it isn't a mystery what a spin is for, it is very clear.

--
Jesse Keating
Release Engineer: Fedora