Fedora 7

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 7 11:47:28 UTC 2007

On 1/4/07, Bill Nottingham <notting at redhat.com> wrote:
> - A Fedora Desktop spin
> - A Fedora Server spin
> - A Fedora KDE spin

Two things here:

1) Is there going to be further effort towards a minimalistic install
as official release option? I seem to here/see people asking for a 1-2
CD media install option (as in they can safely download only the first
two cd isos and get a Fedora install up)

2) The Desktop Environment catch 22 seems to be continuing: KDE gets
less love since the measurable KDE using community is small, while the
measurable KDE community is small since those who heavily use KDE go
elsewhere to get their KDE fix (Kubuntu, SuSe). And with the recent
bad press, there may be a few who would like another distro to use KDE
on.

Might also mention (for no particular reason) that I actually like the
fact that the system-config tools are in Gtk and look different from
my desktop (Qt) application

> - Make LiveCDs as a part of the distribution release process

Any insight if these LiveCDs will be an adequate replacement for a Knoppix CD?

> - Speedup of bootup and shutdown

I've never  worried about this too much, but i suppose that would be nice.

> - Add wireless firmware for all the chipsets we can

I would be just happy for a way of reliably knowing that I even need a
code - as opposed to modules (drivers) just failing to work.

> - Fixing the proliferation of dictionary packages

This is a Linux wide need

I vote for keeping Fedora 7 unreleased till at least 90% of these
features are implemented, they seem to be worth the wait.

--
Fedora Core 6 and proud