experimental 2.6.19 kernel preview - OK

David Timms dtimms at iinet.net.au
Sun Jan 7 14:59:23 UTC 2007

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 04, 2007 at 12:23:02PM -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
>
>  > note that this build doesn't have the fix for the mmap corruption problem
>  > which got quite a bit of attention last week.  I'll get a fixed build
>  > up there soon, but in the meantime, tread carefully with this one.
>
> I've been working on a 2.6.19 update for FC6 over the last
> few weeks, and it's starting to feel 'almost ready'.
> Before I push this out to updates-testing though, I'd rather
> have a few people 'kick the tyres' to make sure there's
> nothing really silly wrong with these.
Booting and running my normal apps shows nothing out of the ordinary
that I can see in the first:
  01:55:33 up  1:32,  1 user,  load average: 0.15, 0.26, 0.55
Linux davidtdesktop 2.6.19-1.2888.fc6 #1 SMP Sat Jan 6 01:05:49 EST 2007
i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

3x ide disks + dvd drive. usb mounting normal. nvidia fx5600 using
proprietary driver and nvidia-x11-drv-1.0.9746-1 {freshrpms}, that dkms
  auto recompiled for new kernel during boot {-devel is installed}, and
nvidia driver boot operates OK.

Apps used: firefox, thunderbird, gnome-terminal, gkrellm, freecell,
openoffice calc, nautilus, fslint {to detect and delete empty
directories under /home/* - it found about 20,000}

cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
vendor_id       : AuthenticAMD
cpu family      : 6
model           : 8
model name      : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2600+
stepping        : 1
cpu MHz         : 2079.648
cache size      : 256 KB
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 1
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca
cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse syscall mmxext 3dnowext 3dnow up ts
bogomips        : 4160.89

DaveT.