rawhide report: 20070108 changes

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Tue Jan 9 12:03:30 UTC 2007

On 09.01.2007 12:47, Josh Boyer wrote:
>> If I would review the kernel for the extras merge I'd say "fix this".
>> But I suspect davej won't like to call the kernels 2.6.20 (e.g.
>> 2.6.20-1.2906.rc4.fc7 for example) before they are actually 2.6.20
> Neither would I.  It's not 2.6.20.  It's 2.6.19 + patches. :)

It's called 2.6.20-rcX upstream, so we should IMHO be able to call it
something similar, too.

I further think the current kernel's naming scheme is quite confusing.
Especially the part that makes 2.6.20-rcX kernels output "2.6.19-foo"
from "uname -r" --> that now and then confuses external kmods that check
for the kernel release during "configure" or similar scripts. They due
to that might not build -> okay, I can live with that and fix it myself.
But if can lead to silent breakage, too, if some "ifdef'ed" workarounds
for newer kernels don't get applied.

>> This will be one of the problem areas we'll probably have to deal with
>> when it comes to reviewing Core packages for the Extras merge.
> Perhaps.  Maybe we'll come to some sort of agreement fairly quickly.

Optimist :-)

CU
thl