rawhide report: 20070108 changes

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Jan 10 00:03:08 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 January 2007 13:25, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> > The tarball IMHO is not relevant. The upstream version is 2.6.20-rc4.
> > It's a pre-release. And we have rules for how to package those:
> > http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines
> > Section "Pre-Release packages":
> > http://www.fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#head-d97a3f40b
> >6dd9d2288206ac9bd8f1bf9b791b22a

> The tarball used is important in this case.

This is rather thin...

>                                              The patches we prepare and such
> are against the 2.6.19 tarball, NOT the 2.6.20.  The unmodified source we're
> using is 2.6.19 and that defines the release of the package.

I'd just go with "It's in between 2.6.19 and 2.6.20, so 2.9.19-<release>.
This is much simpler than the scheme proposed above. Or use that scheme
/only/ if it is a rather long-lived "in-between" version that has its own
"name recognition" (i.e., under duress).

In the kernel's case the -rcX are short-lived. Besides, basing /any/
decision on the rcX number is misguided. It has happened that features are
included and then ripped out again, and features in the vanilla kernel
aren't in the distribution kernels, and viceversa.