Fedora 7

Horst H. von Brand vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl
Wed Jan 10 00:22:12 UTC 2007

Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 1/8/07, Horst H. von Brand <vonbrand at inf.utfsm.cl> wrote:
> > Arthur Pemberton <pemboa at gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> > > That's great. I don't even ask for the word 'support' to be used, I
> > > would be happy with:
> > >
> > > * works with clean fedora (no binary blob drivers or firmware required)
> > > * works with non fedora worthy firmware
> > > * works in Linux, but not Fedora ready (or clean enough)
> > > * no idea
> > > * doesn't work

> > Who would compile and keep this up to date? Have you any idea of how many
> > brands and models of different pieces are around?

> The community would. For example:
>
> 1) I install F7

OK.

> 2) My tv card works immediately without any additional drivers

Or it doesn't.

> 3) I pull the card info from available sources

Which ones?

> 4) I add it to the db if it isn't already there

Who checks your entry is correct? What happens if you reported it didn't
work, and it works fine for me, or viceversa?

[...]

> All I'm asking for a Fedora blessed infrastructure to be put in place,
> not for any one person to be responsible for populating it

This requires manpower (to check for junk, to clean up entries, to
discriminate among conclicting entries, ...). Ask the people at
<http://www.linuxprinting.org> if this is a trivial job. And printers are
outside the box, so it is /simple/ compared to all possible strange
interactions among in-box pieces.

> The benefit of this being that next time I'm buying hardware, I can
> scurry over to the db and check what the best options are.

For higher-end stuff the data is usually at hand, for el-cheapo not (and
better stay away from that in any case).