Fedora 7 vs 6 installation

Jeffrey C. Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Thu Jan 11 03:27:14 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 20:06 -0700, Jerry Williams wrote:

> Be able to do a headless install.
> Put DVD in drive and a floppy with config or usb flash drive and have system
> boot and look for files on floppy or usb flash drive for the config or maybe
> use some network protocol to get the config information it needs.
> So it would lay out the drive and set network and time config and root
> password and maybe second account and do a basic install that would allow
> you to remotely connect and add other packages.

Kickstart has existed for a long time, since at least Red Hat Linux 7.

http://fedora.redhat.com/docs/fedora-install-guide-en/fc5/sn-automating-installation.html

> I would also be nice to be able to clone a machine, maybe not totally, but
> at least the packages.  Like run some command to create a file and then be
> able to provide that file to another system to be installed.

The installer leaves a file called "anaconda-ks.cfg" in root's home
directory.  With a few minor modifications you can feed that config file
to kickstart

> And maybe some of these things exist now and I just need to learn about
> them.

Yep.